Thursday, December 29, 2011

Orphan


Christmas here wasn't a big deal.  New Zealand didn't even care so much as to snow.  Instead people get festive when the flowers start to bloom.

My body doesn't understand what's happening.  I should have spent more time in the freezer of the fishing boat we were working on to acclimatize.  It never got colder, it just rained alot.  I should have spent more time in the freezer of the fishing boat we were working on to acclimatize.  The power of my chagrin imported shitty weather for the rest of the holidays & sent the heat home.  New Years saw buds on the trees, shorts & pasty white legs on everyone.  You're welcome.

Feels like a scene from an old movie.  A call from distant family abroad on christmas day.  Hearing the joy in their voices.  Sounds of laughter, eggnog, cranberry sauce & frost in the background.  People trying to talk over each other, wearing new clothes fresh from ripping the pricetags off of, glass in hand.  Tinsel & a log on the fire.

Mom tells me she woke up with pictures of me throughout the house.  My brother put them there so they could spend christmas with me.  I try to hide how lonely mine was, making an omelette on Boxing Day.

My oldest friend in Auckland had given me a big hug, looked me in the eye & promised I wouldn't be alone for christmas.  All my flatmates were out to see their families.  I fell asleep in an empty apartment to a blazing video of Yule Log.  Wrecklessly.  I got a call late the next afternoon informing me all yule-tide events were cancelled cause he had too many bottles with the family the night before & had his head in a toilet.  Yep.  Thanks buddy.

Rocked up showered & late to my backup with a bottle of wine.  A bunch of strangers at the beach.  Couchsurfers.  What orphans?  We all belong here!  Had me in open arms at Hello.  Learned the finer art of anything-goes petonque (bocce), including covering your eyes with one hand & ducking occasionally.  Barbeque.  Hard to have a cold shoulder when you're swimming in the ocean in the sun.

The best present.

No comments:

Post a Comment