Monday, May 23, 2011

Something to Prove

Medellin, Colombia

It's so calm up here.  On the terrace, with the christmas lights on.  There're orange streetlights spread over the hills in front of me & the MetroCables are always swaying.  Under a tin roof, this is the place to be.  Perfect, everything is perfect perfect.

Today was weird for the normal weather, but beautiful.  Instead of raining all afternoon & evening, it rained in the morning & that was all.  Damn, I was just getting used to it & scheduling around it.  Kelvin & I live on the roof.  I'm even getting used to sleeping on a mat on the ground & the rain on the roof cradling me to sleep.

Downstairs isn't as calm as here, with 6 housemates.  Someone's always awake or sleeping, playing music, cooking or playing music.  The terrace is calm, with a suggestive hammock spread out in front of me.

It's a funny thing.  The past couple months I've asked people what their definitions are of living somewhere.  Some people say if you pay rent, have a job, a relationship, have something to keep you rooted there, if you recieve mail, or an amount of time, minimum of 6 months to a year.  To me, I was living in Sayulita for 7 weeks last year, but didn't have any of those.  I don't think I've really figured out what my definition is yet.

It's a non-conventional way of travelling, or some might call it living.  I am super aware that most of what makes a place great are it's people.  When it comes to Colombia, they've all been great.  I've been here 5 days & no one's been less than super nice to me, as is their reputation, or at least the one that I'm aware of.

Yesterday while it was storming outside, Kelvin, Aleja & I made homemade peanut butter.  Later Amu, K & I played Settlers of Catan in both Spanish & German & ate waffles on the terrace.  Alex & Alejo are playing with some new recording software they bought the other day & Alex taught me some latin beats on the drums.  Anna, K & I are going to see a guitarist from Buena Vista Social Club Friday.  Aleja & I have quite a bit in common, & we walk the dog, Mona, while chatting in Spanish.  Adrianna comes by for work & together we practice vocabulary & communicating.

Kelvin & I met at the end of his journey from Antarctica to the Arctic when he drove me across Canada & for which I had to do ~350 pushups on camera.  In those 2 weeks, I met almost every main character in his life, at least in the past couple of years.  Every once & awhile I'll remember a quirk or story from last year.  Like how he's kind of a health nut & while playing Settlers of Catan it became obvious that he was the one who once played a 19 hour game of Axis & Allies that ended in a draw.  He's cheering for Vancouver in the playoffs.  All hell's going to break loose when they play Boston in the finals.

I love racing the traffic on a bike, the amazing ease of going up/downhill, & swimming in the sun.  Eating amazing new fruits everyday!  Grenadillos are like a combination of an orange & a pomegranate, & really fun to eat.  Zapotes are kind of like a pumpkin when you open them & sweet, not too sweet.  Unripe mango has the same texture of a big raw potato, except it's sour.  Colombians eat it with salt or vinager.

When I arrived here, I struggled at my own pace, trying to find my way.  I don't really know where I'm headed, or what I'm doing.  There is something new to do every night.  But in Medellin, a city of 2.5 million, it doesn't seem that big.  It's calm.

This is a good place to be inbetween.  I'm finding it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment