Saturday, December 18, 2010

Left side leash tan

I feel like Walking through the mud without getting my feet dirty could be a great metaphor for my life.

We are the authors, not the actors.  Let me spell you out some scenes.

Scene 1:  yesterday.  Kayaking with the Hippies - Mitch from Tasmania & Kyle from the Toronto area.  Really cool guys.  I had only planned to be on the water an hour, but hung along for the adventure.  On a stretch of secluded beach on the other side of Punta Sayulita.  Feet in the sand, in the sun.  Kyle went off through the rocks to go spearfishing, Mitch is testing the waves for kayak surfing & I go off exploring through the half built walls of soon to be developed land.  Iguanas & snakes bathing on the rocks on land.  Loads of black crabs scuttling on the rocks by the water.  Sitting still on the beach long enough & you realize that every tiny shell has legs.  Hermit crabs.  They must have thought my head was something perched on my body, cause they'd do their best to hie from me under or behind my feet.  The biggest was about an inch.  Calm.  Cooled off in the ocean when the sun was too much.  Kyle came back with a great big Rooster fish - walking down the beach.  He was so proud, recounted how he got it & about the fight - dragging him through the water.  This afternoon was exactly how it was supposed to be.  This made me realize something...

Despite what generalizations or stereotypes or preconceived notions we have about people, they are people.  They can be genuine if you let them.  This is the same for yourself.  I find myself to be very reactionary - I assess the people around me & act accordingly.  I find it very hard to be the same person when I am around everyone.  When you hang around someone who is completely non-judgemental, that is your true self.  When you have nothing or no one to react to, that is actually you.  I wonder how much of that truly comes out everyday.

Scene 2:  During Fiesta de la Guadelupe, there is a big stage set up on the cobblestone street in front of the Plaza.  Every night there is live banda - eccentric Mexican music with loads of horns, until midnight or 1am.  All the foreigners find it annoying, but I find when you break it down it's really interesting music.  Most nights there is a different band, but they always play the same songs.  There is nothing comparable to it in Canada.  All the different bands play the same banda standards.  People look forward to it & dance, but no matter where the bands come from, the songs are the same.  On the last night there were dancing horses.  Beautiful horses.  There was a big black stallion named Indio we got a ride on.  When Tamara came back from her ride, somehow she had picked up beer.  That's my girl.

Scene 3:  Ditched all the bars & campfire on the beach.  All our closest friends.  Karalina (Chile) took charge before sunset & directed the beach wood gathering for the fire that would still be smoking in the morning.  Ian (BC) playing the melodica like a champ - taking requests & playing Super Mario brothers themes whenever I demand it.  Fred (QC) singing blues songs over the acoustic guitar about how hungry he was & that he was going to go eat tacos.  Fred's two enormous dogs follow him around everywhere - Tamara says it's like he's a prince of Narnia.  One is begging people to play fetch with him, & the other is chillin.  Abraham, the drummer for Raices Negras, shows up after their set to strum a bit on the guitar to my left & beat on the tambour.  At some point I was beside myself at the scenario.  Gorgeous stars touching the horizon, the sound of the waves, the heat from the fire, & the company of friends.  This is it.


Scene 3:  After an early afternoon surf, Darryl (UK) suggests he was thinking of taking a trip to Buscerias to go to the Mega store & his van needs gas
(Note: Buscerias is between PV & Sayulita about 45 minutes by bus.  It has the closest gas station & supermarket.)
Jessica (BC), Daniele, Tamara, Darryl & I pack 'er up to head to town.  I am hoping to catch the sunset surf.  Somewhere down the road we run out of gas, on a turn up a hill of course.  Hazard lights.  Darryl gets in the next car that stops & runs off to come back with gas.  4 chicks on the side of the road - top notch.  Plus no cell reception.  The cops come & help us out by directing traffic.  There's a cool thing that happens in Mexico where if there is a hazard up ahead, the hazard lights go on immediately, so the drivers behind know.  I guess it goes without saying.  Sitting there we come to the consensus that beer is in order.  Jess & I walk around the bend to the closest store for chips & drinks.  Jess screams whenever a bus goes by & almost gets hit by a passing car.  We hitch the 10 minute walk back in the back of a truck.  Modelo/baby Coronas & habanero chips for all!  I had no luck finding a sweater in the van as the sun is going down, but do find a wicked pilot's hat.  When Darryl gets back we're chillin  out with beers on the lip of the road.  Fills 'er up.....Battery's dead.  FFS.  The cops pull around to help us out & there I am - gringo chick in a pilot's hat holding a beer directing traffic on a Mexican highway.  We still make it to Buscerias & to Mega.  Mega is like christmas.  It's got everything!  I take advantage & get myself a camera.  So sweet - it takes amazing pictures!  Mexican wrestling is playing on the tv's in the electronics section.  Spanish Christmas music is playing.  Darryl looks beat.  I am once again elated.

Scene 4:  Last Saturday Daniele, Tamara & I took a night off from each other & went our seperate ways.  The next day, we each recounted the night before.  When Daniele found me on the waves, hers involved alot of "I don't want to talk about it" or "I'm trying to erase it from my memory".  Apparently I was going to go swimming.  Daniele can't understand anything Novio says, but she said he seemed concerned.  Tamara had an early night, but somehow met someone on the way home & it actually turned into an event.  Despite our crazy lives, Levi was the one with the biggest story to tell.  Daniele was piecing together what she'd been told & I couldn't believe any of it.  Apparently him & Teddy, Zena's 13 year old son, had been drinking in the street.  They went to the Grand Opening of the white beach bar LA View, where there was free drinks.  Levi got kicked out because someone caught him with a beer, so he chatted with the bouncers a bit before heading home.  Tamara gets a call at 3am from Zena in hysterics cause Teddy didn't come home.  Levi had a hard time making out where he had last seen him, but when she asked if there was anyone he knew there - yeah, Darryl was there.  He was half cut & they had said we were there with them & didn't think anything of it.  Zena ends up finding Teddy chatting up some guy in the corner of Dragon Rojo.  He could stand when he left, but ended up getting carried home & throwing up all down the street.  Zena's words in the morning were "I have SO much cleaning to do."

I hang out with some characters.  To say the least.

Scene 5:  There was one indescribable day.  Last Sunday.  After procrastinating on it all day, Daniele & I finally made it in the water.  She likes the surf better by the sand bar, but I like to go just to the right of where the pros are dicks & catch all the big waves.  We go to her spot.  I caught almost every wave I went for.  I would paddle back out laughing.  I still have trouble getting to my feet, but I can catch them & ride them on one knee.  Yes.  It is a cool feeling to watch something for so long, to start to understand & anticipate how it works.  That's how I feel about reading the water.  Everything I had heard was that surfing will change your life & that there is nothing like it.  Someone had compared it to the love you feel for your child.  After surfing for 5 weeks & to finally be able to.....  Man.  I was talking to the french guys Fred & Pat later, who just said "You look fuckin happy.  Good for you!"  Got stung by a jellyfish, but it didn't matter.  What a day.  Amazing day.

The next week was shit for waves.  It doesn't matter though, cause once you catch them, it's all worth it.

Today:  I am in Puerto Vallarta.  We did alot of busing back & forth through the city, because....well, just because.  Accidentally.  Oh well.  Tamara decided to make her way with me to Playa del Carmen for Christmas.  I didn't think this would happen, cause she does alot of talking about ideas & not alot of following through, but here we are!  I never thought she'd be able to convince Levi to trek across the country.  We took off without knowing where we were headed & decided along the way.  If we had left earlier we would have gotten further, but instead spent 5 hours on the road to get an hour away from home.  I am on the rooftop of my hostel, right outside our dorm.  This place is alive!  Tamara's surprized we don't come here more often.  She only says that because it's got more than 3 bars - it's the illusion of options.  Decent place though.  I can see the resorts in Nuevo Vallarta from here.  They were setting off fireworks a couple hours ago - the great big ones.  The sparks would touch the water.  It's fairly cold - I am wearing a hoodie & my hands are stiff.  Wind off the water.  To my right is a beautiful cathedral that rings it's bells every half hour during the day.  Levi had Burger King for dinner, while Tam & I ate at a Cuban bar.  The same bar is opening in Sayulita Monday & it was one of the reasons people were trying to get me to stay.  Luckily, I still got to experience it.  Ha!  We do alot of comparing this to our little surf town, knowing the grasp it has on us.  What a cool place.  I love knowing I'm going back, as well as going off to find more cool places!

We left Mitch as our replacement.  He needs to meet everyone, scare off the people that are shit & convince the cool ones to stay.  Hold down the fort while we're away.

My Spanish has been getting alot better since I've been hanging out with Novio & Abraham.  Someone had told me "You know you can speak a language when you understand the humour of it."  It feels good to be able to joke around.  Working on vocabulary a bit at a time.  Stop.  Store.  Find.  Glue.  Broken.

Still heaps of misadventure as well.  There was the day I lost my surfboard - left it with a family on the beach & when I came back it was gone.  My friends had taken it home for me I found out the next day.  None of my electronics work, including my new camera.  I think I need to clean the sand out of it.  In the meantime, it's got some great pictures on it I can't get off & keeps saying things to me in Spanish.  Oh bother.

For Christmas I am getting the Worst Case Scenario handbook.  I feel like I need it.

End scene.

We are dust in the spotlight.  We're just kind of floating.

No comments:

Post a Comment