Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Southern Hospitality

Boca Raton, FL

Let me try this again.

Somewhere between stepping out of the airport, feeling the slight humidity & thinking "hmm, palm trees", I hopped in the car with my backpack, drove down miles of concrete and found myself at home.

Also, I stepped straight from one Seinfeld reference to another.  From New York City to Boca Raton, FL.

I woke up to the heat.  I didn't even notice till I was fully awake.  When Emerson got home, we introduced her to Damon, another CSer we met along the way.  She looked at me & said "You slept a long time".  I slept almost 12 hours last night, understandably, in a pink room beside Sunflower the turtle.  This is what happens when I sleep in a bed.  I get comfortable.  And most times sleep between 8-12 hours.

Damon came with us (Brooke & I) to lunch, where we laughed at Southern & Canadian euphemisms, and travel stories.  Brooke is originally from South Carolina.  Damon's from Cape Cod, has lived in St Augustine, FL & has travelled all over the US.  He was going out with one of the editors of CSing a couple years back & went to the CSing Collective in Alaska at the time.  There's a default picture on the CSing homepage that he is in.  He is a big time fisherman, & has caught 7 of the 10 deadliest sharks out there, including hammerheads & a 400pd one we saw a picture of.  If we end up going to the Keys in a the next couple days, he's taking me fishing.

After lunch we headed to the Everglades kinda.  Apparently this is the off-season & the Everglades National Park is actually closed.  It was the Eveglades to me though.  Spent the afternoon walking around on the boardwalk birdwatching & turtle spotting.  No gators, drat.  No mouquitoes either!  All marshland.  Beautiful.  Florida softshells with snouts, Great Blue Herons, many different sorts of ducks & waterfowl.  Waater everywhere.

Then fighting off old NY ladies for spots at the Boys, a farmer's market - the way they should be.  Every counter we went to we got a free sample (Fancy Strawberries, bread, grapes, pineapple, coffee, chocolate covered jellies), and the workers were super nice.  None of them were local either.  Different varieties of everything blew our minds.  Damon wanted to live there.  No Miracle Fruit though.  I have to get on that!  Black Out Cake made the lights flicker.

At home, we sampled music from each other.  "Have you heard of.....Awwww, they're the best!"  Brooke was blown away that Zach Deputy - a little known musician highly recommended by Damon - is from her small hometown in SoCar.  Also, can almost play Tom Sawyer by Rush on the piano.  Her & Bryan saw them just a couple weeks ago at an outdoor amphitheatre!  Bryan is working on a way to sneak in a hookah.  Emerson coloured her stuffed kitty rainbow (everything is named Rainbow Da Cat to her, except Sunflower), and rode around on Damon's shoulders.  I kept tricking her by asking so many questions.  When Rainbow Da Cat needed to get down from the ceiling fan we got out the remote controlled helicopter to help, instead of calling the fire department.  She could be a one way vaudeville show - the way she says "Do you have a napkin please?" while covered in chocolate cake & marker.

I just finished drinking two cups of Papua New Guinea coffee - no wonder I'm so wired - from a CSing mug.  My feet feel much better.  I am sitting on the balcony, about 2 feet from where I'm going to sleep. :)  Pretty stoked about sleeping outside tonight, although I was thinking Emerson would have her room back.  Tomorrow, well, I don't want to jinx it or ruin the surprise, but the next few days will be fun!

I should never be shy about asking to surf with people, & I should invite CSers out all the time!

I am also trying to restrain myself from sending Kara so many requests for HER show, but I can't help myself.  I am just inspired!

**Don't get too used to my updating all the time.  As long as I am in the States, time & wifi is readily available.  Plus I love to write!**

"My favorite thing to do is to go where I've never been." - Diane Arbus

"Don't tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have traveled." - Mohammed

"A good traveler has no fixed plans & is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

"He who would travel happily travels lightly." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Not all who wander are lost." - Tolkien

"Experience, travel--they are as education in themselves." - Euripides

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move." - Robert Louis Stevenson

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

"To travel is to discover that everybody is wrong about other countries." - Aldous Huxley

"Money, who needs it?
Let me live a life free and easy--
put a toothbrush in my hand,
let me be a traveling man" - Performed by GD & JGB

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

"Traveling has changed me more than I thought. I am not me anymore, or not the same me as I was." - Che Guevara

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, & avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

"As long as there is a 'there', I want to go." - Unknown

"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, & remember more than I have seen." - Benjamin Disraeli

No comments:

Post a Comment